American Suffragette Adult Costume
- 100% polyester pullover dress has buttons on the front
- Floor length dress has Peter Pan collar
- Loose sleeves are gathered at the shoulders and cuffs
- Gathered green belt ties at the back
- Sash has "Votes for Women" printed down the front with hook & loop adjustment at the shoulder
- Hat and sign not included
Battle for the Ballot
The road to getting a vote for women wasn't a smooth one. Which is strange, considering how ridiculous some of the arguments for keeping half the population from having a say in politics were. People used to argue that the human race would die out as soon as the government gave women a political voice. Because for some reason, getting involved in politics would make every woman decide to leave motherhood behind forever. Many men stood against the vote because they didn't want to hear ladies speak in public places. But, with years of protests, hours of women annoying their husbands by speaking in public, and whittling away at the voting laws state by state, women finally earned their voice. Celebrate those brave ladies with this Woman's Suffragette Costume!
You'll look ready to hit the streets in the early 1900s with this sleek ensemble. This costume comes with a dress that's designed to look like a blouse and skirt; the long-sleeved collared top and floor-length skirt would be perfectly acceptable in the political salons of all classes. A green band cinches around the waist, and of course, a sash is worn over the shoulder to denote that you are a part of the women's suffrage movement.
Power of the Past
Forgetting the past is a dangerous thing. We can't forget a time when people would say a thing like, "Why would women want to vote when their husbands and sons could speak in their interests anyway?" It seems that after about a hundred years of woman voting, none of the Victorian arguments had much merit. And women definitely have the right to speak in public nowadays. In fact, to the probable shock and horror of nineteenth-century men, they even run countries and sit as judges on the supreme court. Seems that politics could have used a woman's touch a long time ago!
|Small||Waist||26" - 30"||66cm - 76cm|
|Medium||Waist||28" - 32"||71cm - 81cm|
|Large||Waist||30" - 34"||76cm - 86cm|
|X-Large||Waist||32" - 36"||81cm - 91cm|
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | November 1, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Anonymous | October 21, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Just what we neededBy Maria | March 21, 2019Bought this for a stage costume for Winnifred Banks (Mary Poppins) and it's perfect! Small size fits my 10 year old well enough - shirt is a little long for her but we can tuck the extra into the waistband and hide with the belt. So happy with it!Was this review helpful to you?
- SIZESBy ELLEN | March 16, 2019I ordered an XL and I couldn't even get it over my shoulders. It is extremely poorly sized!
I think it is a lovely outfit, too badWas this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Current Customer | November 19, 2018I loved it! And over 100 "likes" on Facebook.Was this review helpful to you?
- Prize winnerBy Kathleen | November 6, 2018Saw this and decided it would be perfect for this Halloween season. I attend a party every year with the same group (over 100 people), so a new costume was a must. I bought the hat but did not make a sign. I got so many compliments and requests for photos some with people I didn't even know. Ended up being a finalist in the costume contest and while I didn't win first place, I did win a prize. Only negative is that the fabric is synthetic and being long sleeved, it was hot for dancing.Was this review helpful to you?