Plus Size Black Flapper Costume for Women
- 100% polyester velvet and sequin knit fabrics
- Pullover dress has scoop neckline, fringe at shoulders & hemline
- Elastic headband is covered w/ black sequins & has upright feather behind silver-sequined medallion
- Feather boa shown in photo is sold separately
The days of the flappers and speakeasies might be a thing of the past, but the look is still one that can rock any party or gathering. Some styles never get old and flappers are one of them. The dresses and style are timeless as are the fun, carefree times that we all associate with them. Even though the times weren’t always fun and happy (the Great Depression was a real drag), the people of the time knew how to make the best of what they had—and parties were never in any type of shortage.
Well, maybe it's time to bring a bit of that to the present. With one of our Made by Us costume dresses, you can craft a look that's ready for a trip to the speakeasy. You'll be ready to do the Charleston to the sweet sound of jazz music!
Design & Details
The costume starts with a black sequin dress with matching fringe on the sleeves and bottom hem for a unique and detailed look. The dress also has a beautiful inset of silver sequins for a look you won’t find anywhere else. Pair the dress with the included black sequined headband with a feather. This look is perfect for a roaring 20s theme party, especially when you pair it with a pair of black flapper shoes and a black feather boa. You could also team up with a group of flappers and gangsters for a great group costume that will make a splash this Halloween!
Yearning for the Past
This classic look is perfect for those who yearn for a touch of the past! The 20s style and fringe accents really capture the look of a decade. Just make sure to pair it with one of our feather boas and some fancy jewelry to get the complete look.
|1X||Hips||37" - 52"||94cm - 132cm|
|1X||Dress Length||43 1/2"||110cm|
|2X||Hips||41" - 56"||104cm - 142cm|
|3X||Hips||45" - 60"||114cm - 152cm|
|3X||Dress Length||44 1/2"||113cm|
|4X||Hips||46" - 64"||117cm - 163cm|
|5X||Hips||50" - 68"||127cm - 173cm|
|5X||Dress Length||45 1/2"||116cm|
|6X||Hips||54" - 72"||137cm - 183cm|
|7X||Hips||58" - 75"||147cm - 190cm|
|7X||Dress Length||46 1/2"||118cm|
|8X||Hips||60" - 80"||152cm - 203cm|
We believe that costumes have the power to create some of life's best moments. That's why we started Made by Us. This diverse selection of costumes and accessories are all artfully designed and expertly crafted by our talented team of artists, designers, and developers.
Each project begins with a passion for true quality–embroidered patches, faux fur cut with care, and hand-selected fabrics that are as durable as they are comfortable. Those are just a few examples of how much craft and creativity we put into each and every product. Just for you.
No matter how much time it takes, our goal has always remained the same–to create products that inspire your life's best moments–the big, the small, the funny, the spooky, and the sweet. The moments we all cherish. That's Made by Us.
- AmazingBy Jacqueline | December 21, 2018This roaring 1920s flapper‘s dress was perfect! I was careful to follow their instructions and measure myself and order it exactly to the size that matched my numbers. The dress fit like it was tailored to me! The dress was made with the upmost of quality! Everyone loved my dress, I must say, I even looked pretty good in it too. I haven’t worn a dress in 30 years! Well worth the price.Was this review helpful to you?
- Doesn’t quite look like the pictureBy Aja | January 5, 2023Height 5’6I was slightly disappointed in this costume. The picture appears to almost be 2 pieces, like a top and a skirt. Mine was all sewn together like a dress. The glitter like belt didn’t hang low on me like the model, I think it would have been more flattering if it had, not sure if this was a flaw in the costume or difference in sizing. Overall it got the job done for my workplace Christmas party and I received compliments.Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?Vote Yes on the review titled Doesn’t quite look like the picture Yes (0) Vote No on the review titled Doesn’t quite look like the picture No (0)
- Perfect fitBy Anonymous | December 24, 2013I was a little skeptical of the sizing when making my purchase, but it fit great.Was this review helpful to you?
- Flapper Dress and black boaBy Anonymous | October 6, 2016I ordered according to the size chart, 5x. The dress was HUGE. The dress was pretty well made and I am sure if I had gotten a smaller size it probably would have fit well. I just wasnt up for the challenge.
I have returned it and am going to try a different costume.
The black boa was so poorly made. When I took it out of the package the feathers went flying and black particles went all over my bedroom. It was a mess.Was this review helpful to you?
- Flapper DressBy Current Customer | June 30, 2016This was such a surprise. This dress is made well nice material and is true to size great looking and made well love it. Just don't hedge your size like I did got a size to big. Now have to send back and
get the size I should have in the first place.Was this review helpful to you?
- Great for plus sizesBy Laurie | October 20, 2015I bought the 2X so I would have enough extra room. It worked just fine. It was a bit loose, but I'm an actual size 18 tight, so I estimate this is a standard size 20 fit. The elastic waist can be put on your hips or waist to your liking. I used an elastic black belt to hold mine around my waist, and laid the extra flap material over it and it worked great. Slits in the bottom of the skirt helped to give me dancing flexibility. I would call it a size 20 comfortable fit.Was this review helpful to you?
- Awkward!By Kristy | October 24, 2013The "Fit Finder" recommended I purchase a 2x, so I purchased a 3x just to be safe. (And I'm not in denial, I put in measurements that are larger than the truth!) Even with a size up, this costume does not fit AT ALL! The top is extremely baggy while the bottom is skin tight! It also has a built in liner, like a swimsuit, which makes the bodice too short. The picture also fails to show the long slits that go up both sides of the skirt to the bottom of the sequin belt. Now, I'm stuck with a party in 2 days and no costume! Super disappointing!Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Marytheresa | November 2, 2019Costume is as pictured. Pretty sturdy and well made. Looked as good on as model. Comfortable all night.Was this review helpful to you?
- waaaay to bigBy Paula | October 26, 2014The dress was made out of good material but.....i wear a 2x and like most costumes i thought i would get a 3x to make sure of fit.....to my suprise it fit like a 6x....very disappointed ....had to have it taken up which cost more money....Was this review helpful to you?
- Looked the part!By Anonymous | November 14, 2013I ordered my costume for a a Speak Easy fundraiser held for a local women's residence. I received many compliments. It was well-made.Was this review helpful to you?
- Two StarsBy Anonymous | December 30, 2022Size 5XThe dress is too short in the top. The satin part shown above the sequence wasn't even there to help add length. The sequence part hit slightly below my bust, not even down to my natural waist. The lining in the inside went down to the drop waist length, so it looks like a manufacturer error.
With the waist so short it put the side slit all the way up to my hip.
Will have to make significant alterations to be able to wear. The material is fortunately good enough to allow for that.Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Not badBy Tammie | November 4, 2022Sized nicely. Looked good on. Not as well made as I would have expected for the price.Was this review helpful to you?
- Well made, great costume!By Lina | November 4, 2022The dress was surprisingly heavy, in a good way. No flimsy see thru material. I wish it would have had some of the accessories with it, but you have to buy gloves, feather boa, and a cigarette holder separately. The choker didn't work for me (scratchy and too wide) but the dress gets an A+! The headband was comfortable and looked great too!Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Cut/sewing errorBy Alexa | October 30, 2022Size 2XThis was such a shame, the fabric and original design would have been great for plus size women. however the top part was cut short in a way that the sequenced trim that was supposed to fit at the upper thigh zone it actually seats at your waist. it was so awful. so unflattering! Definitely returning.Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | September 26, 2022Height 5’10 | Size 2XThis dress fits comfortably and lightweight for warmer climates.
It’ll be perfect for a Halloween party.Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Sewing errorBy Anonymous | August 16, 2022Height 5ft | Weight ? | Size 3XThe sequenced trim that shows around the upper thigh area, was around my waist. Very unflattering.Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Angela | January 29, 2022Size 7XThis dress was perfect for a “Roaring 20’s” party we had at work. I ordered a couple of sizes bigger than what I needed (ya never know what sizing chart some companies use, and it was definitely true to size !!!
Very comfortable!!Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | December 22, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Two StarsBy Anonymous | November 12, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Two StarsBy Anonymous | November 12, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | October 27, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Three StarsBy Jenna | October 26, 2021Size 3XThis is really neat costume but it's massive. I wear a 2x and ordered up. Most costumes are tiny but not this one. I should have gone down to a 1x. If you're looking for something to hide your midsection this would be perfect. Material is just ok. I thought the arms were closed but they are wide open with a slit. I sewed them up.Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Anonymous | October 21, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Anonymous | October 14, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | October 4, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | September 28, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | September 26, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Dianne Nelson | September 11, 2021Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Quality is lacking for priceBy Sherri | September 2, 2021Size 4XThe quality of the outfit is very cheap and not true to what is pictured. For the price, it is not a good buy.Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- 1922 fantasyBy Sultana | July 31, 2021Height 167 | Size 4XI LOVE IT! Amazing fit. Unfortunately I took bigger than my size but overall Love itBottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Anonymous | November 8, 2019Was this review helpful to you?
- HUGE HUGE HUGEBy Anonymous | March 23, 2019I used an actual measuring tape and contacted customer service to make sure that the 4X would work. She told me that the 4X would be fine across the hips, it might be a little large on top but would work. I am a pretty solid 18/20 and my measurements were completely in line with a 4X. Two of me would fit into this thing. It’s so big I’m not sure it can be altered down to fit me. It drags on the floor, the elastic is about 6” larger than my hips without stretching. The top looks like I am draped in a king size velvet sheet. My event if Friday and I’m unsure I can get anything to wear in time.Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Bobbie | January 9, 2019I have not used it as yet due to the party will be on th3e 19th of JanuaryWas this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Current Customer | November 27, 2018Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Current Customer | November 19, 2018The dress was slightly larger than expected, but that's alright, other than that is was a great fit! Second place in best original costume. The boa had some issues though. Feathers came off very easily.Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Current Customer | November 17, 2018Positive: the dress looked great, and the headband, choker and feather worked out well.
Negative: the elastic on the waist-lift portion of the dress failed by the end of the evening (fortunately, after leaving the party), and I expected the hat that was shown on the marketing picture, not just the headband.Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Current Customer | November 14, 2018Was this review helpful to you?
- Absolutely BeautifulBy Becca | August 30, 2018I received my dress 3 days early. I immediately tried it on. I am a professional tailor and all I can say is that this is a beautifully made dress with good fabrics. Not like other cheaply made ones. It is heavier than I expected. It has a slip attached on the inside. My only complaint is that the Elastic at the Hips isn't tight enough for those that are an upside down triangle. I took one step and it fell off my hips.... which is not a good look. So I will tailor that area so that it fits my body properly. For those busty gals, I have a 60" chest and a 4x fits beautifully. Not too tight, not too big. If you want it to form fit more, go down a size, but PLEASE USE THE SIZING CHART.Was this review helpful to you?
- Halloween 2014By Anonymous | October 3, 2017I bought this costume, as a bigger girl I was worried how it would fit. It was very well made and I got tons of compliments on it. I did go one size larger and I shouldn't have. It ran true to size. I even lent it out the next year to a gal who was larger as well and she was shy, she had a blast and looked amazing doing it.Was this review helpful to you?