Stock up on candy and get the box of pumpkins and spiderwebs from the closet because Halloween is approaching fast! We were curious about Halloween traditions in 2022, so we surveyed more than 3,000 adults in the U.S. We asked about their favorite décor and least favorite candy, where they trick-or-treat, and more! Read on for the 2022 Halloween in America survey results!
Click image for high-resolution version
Embed This Image on Your Site:
2022 Halloween Survey Findings
How are you celebrating Halloween this year?
- 32%: Handing out candy
- 22%: Trick-or-treating
- 14%: Adult Halloween party/going out
- 10%: Trunk-or-treating
- 6%: Community Halloween event/hayride
- 5%: Mixed adult & kids Halloween party
When do you start decorating?
- 8%: August or earlier
- 5%: Orange Tuesday/after Labor Day
- 43%: Beginning of October
- 32%: Middle of October
- 11%: On or right before Halloween
Where do you decorate?
- 30%: Outside/yard
- 27%: Porch
- 26%: Inside
- 3%: Garage
- 3%: Vehicle
What is your favorite décor?
- 42%: Pumpkins and spiderwebs
- 17%: Animatronics/moving decorations
- 15%: Window decorations
- 14%: Inflatables
- 12%: Inside decorations
When should people start trick-or-treating?
- 10%: After school during the day, 3-4 PM
- 57%: After dinner/supper, 5-6 PM
- 33%: When it's darker outside, 7-8 PM
Where do you trick-or-treat?
- 55%: Near your home
- 13%: Trunk-or-treats
- 11%: High-income neighborhoods
- 10%: Best decorated neighborhoods
- 6%: Events or theme parks
- 5%: Malls or businesses
What is your least favorite Halloween candy?
- 25%: Candy corn
- 22%: Circus peanuts
- 20%: Wax cola/lips
- 19%: Licorice
- 14%: Jawbreakers
How much candy do you let your kid(s) eat on Halloween?
- 34%: 1-5 pieces
- 24%: 6-10 pieces
- 33%: No limit
- 9%: No candy
Do you have options available for kids with allergies?
- 38%: No, only traditional treats
- 19%: Yes, non-food options
- 16%: Yes, non-peanut options
- 8%: Yes, non-dairy options
- 28%: Don't give out treats
At what age should kids be allowed to watch horror films?
- 4%: 5 or younger
- 9%: 6-10
- 47%: 11-15
- 40%: 16-17
Are there enough age-appropriate Halloween costumes for girls?
- 58%: No
- 42%: Yes
Are there enough plus-size Halloween costumes?
- 67%: No
- 33%: Yes
Are you able to find Halloween costumes that fit your body type?
- 60%: Yes, same as my regular clothing size
- 27%: No, not enough options for my size
- 13%: No, I have to size up or size down
Would you dress up in a costume meant for a gender other than how you identify?
- 65%: No
- 35%: Yes
How do you complete your Halloween costume?
- 22%: Makeup
- 17%: Wigs
- 16%: Halloween mask
- 15%: Shoes/boots
- 7%: Bags/purses
- 23%: Other accessories
Do you consider the weather/climate when choosing Halloween costumes?
- 64%: No
- 36%: Yes
How much would you spend per Halloween costume?
- 61%: Less than $20
- 15%: $20 to $40
- 8%: $41 to $60
- 4%: $61 to $80
- 4%: $81 to $100
- 7%: More than $100
Does your pet participate in Halloween?
- 50%: No
- 8%: Yes, in a full costume
- 7%: Yes, with accessories
- 35%: I don't have a pet
What Halloween costume(s) are you sick of seeing every year?
- 51%: None
- 20%: Ghost
- 13%: Witch
- 11%: Clown
- 6%: Scream
How does your current or most recent workplace celebrate Halloween?
- 13%: Full costumes
- 12%: Accessories/themed apparel
- 15%: Giving out candy/treats
- 4%: Work from home with a video meeting background
- 56%: None of the above
Methodology: this survey was conducted for HalloweenCostumes.com through Google Surveys. The survey interviewed 3,003 U.S. adults of all ages from July 15, 2022 through August 8, 2022.
What did you think about the survey results? Do you agree or disagree with any of the answers? Let us know in the comments. You might be interested in our 2021 survey results as well—or our newest Halloween costumes for 2022!