Classic Plague Doctor Costume for Adults
- Jacket w/ Attached Capelets
- Pair of Gloves
- Cross Necklace
- 100% polyester gabardine & faux leather
- Jacket has antique-gold-tone buttons at center front
- Jacket has 2nd column of buttons for double-breasted look
- Faux leather belt has hook & loop fastener at back, threads through loops at waist of jacket
- Balaclava-style hood covers head & neck, leaves face exposed
- Foam-backed faux leather mask has elastic band around back of head
- Mask has mesh-covered eye openings, will restrict vision
- Forearm-length faux leather gloves
- Foam-backed faux leather hat has wire in brim edge for shape
- Gold-tone metal cross hangs on cord necklace
- Staff and lantern shown in photo are each sold separately
- Exclusively, made by us!
A Plague On All Their Houses
The plague was so intensely serious that for the rest of the time, people didn't even call it by its full name. They just called it "The Plague". Europe is still feeling the effects of the sickness that decimated the population in waves more than 600 years ago. In Poveglia, Italy people still report a sense of being watched and a feeling of hands scratching at them as soon as they step foot onto the island that, incidentally, was used as an inhumane quarantine. People hear crying in the old houses where people once perished of the disease. Modern tourists at plague sites sometimes capture souls that are still sticking around, waiting for a cure. While the black plague might have happened half a thousand years ago, memories of the disease are alive and well. That's why this plague doctor costume is still enough to send shivers down our spines.
Details & Design
This high-quality costume brings the paintings of the black plague to living, breathing life. The robe has a capelet layered around the shoulders and gold-tone buttons down the front. It's peppered with details such as a cross necklace, a black hood, and a pair of black gloves. It's completed with a brimmed hat and a white mask with a long beak. Pair it with a staff and a lantern to make this plague doctor come to life! (Unfortunately, it doesn't include any medical prowess or ways to dodge the common cold. Still working on that!)
While the horrors of the plague might be concentrated down to a ghostly whisper on Europe's shores, you can bring history to life this Halloween. This high-quality look is perfect for creeping your friends out at costume parties and nice enough to be worn for homemade horror movies and music videos. Whisper the ghostly tales of the plague and watch as the plague of fear takes hold of the people around you!
|X-Small||Belt Length||30 1/2"||77cm|
|Small||Belt Length||32 1/2"||83cm|
|Medium||Sleeve Length||25 1/2"||65cm|
|Medium||Belt Length||35 1/2"||90cm|
|Large||Sleeve Length||25 3/4"||65cm|
|Large||Belt Length||39 1/2"||100cm|
|X-Large||Belt Length||43 1/2"||110cm|
We believe that costumes have the power to create some of life's best moments. That's why we started Made by Us. This diverse selection of costumes and accessories are all artfully designed and expertly crafted by our talented team of artists, designers, and developers.
Each project begins with a passion for true quality–embroidered patches, faux fur cut with care, and hand-selected fabrics that are as durable as they are comfortable. Those are just a few examples of how much craft and creativity we put into each and every product. Just for you.
No matter how much time it takes, our goal has always remained the same–to create products that inspire your life's best moments–the big, the small, the funny, the spooky, and the sweet. The moments we all cherish. That's Made by Us.
- Gloves came with holes :o( One Button fell offBy DougieFresh | October 5, 2019Need to iron all the wrinkles out, Severely wrinkled, but I guess that is to be expected. Gloves had holes in them can't wear them, They are super small, will NOT fit a grown man. Button fell off and not the thread, the cast in the metal button broke off and I have not even worn this yet. I need new gloves and a button Face mask stitching is coming out and there are stains all over the mask that is suppose to be white :o(
Not happy at all, especially for the price....Was this review helpful to you?Vote Yes on the review titled Gloves came with holes :o( One Button fell off Yes (1) Vote No on the review titled Gloves came with holes :o( One Button fell off No (0)
- Three StarsBy Anonymous | November 1, 2019I bought different gloves, a hat and mask. The gloves were ripped and didn't fit anyway (too small). The mask was wrinkled and hard to see. The eyes were mesh. The hat was alright but wrinkled some, I found one I liked better. Everything else was great and made an awesome costume.Was this review helpful to you?
- Thought it would be better for priceBy Charline | October 21, 2021Size LargeWe received the costume fast, that was great. When we opened the package it was not as expected. the coat was to long, Didn't mind that so much because I sew and can alter it. At least it wasn't short. The hat was cheap and smashed along with the mask, had to purchase a new hat and fix the mask. Some buttons fell off and thought for what we payed it would have been better quality...Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Anonymous | October 19, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | October 14, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- A (hopefully) helpful reviewBy Anonymous | September 21, 2021Height 5ft and about 1-3 inches? | Size SmallAlright, I'm gonna try and make an as useful review as possible for potential buyers, so I hope this helps!
Like many others here, I bought this costume merely wanting the cloak, as I already own a hat, gloves, and mask. But I'll try to make a fair review
(As a note, I got the costume on the day of estimated delivery, so that's a plus)
Hat: Admittedly, my least favorite item here. It's the exact same material as the gloves. Some thin stretchy leather-like material. The hat itself is very thin, yet it holds its shape decently well. It looks quite cheap and is covered in wrinkles
Gloves: The material used here I believe works in the gloves' favor rather than against like the hat. Mine arrived without any holes but some reviews I've seen have mentioned that, so be wary. Fingers are rather short but other than that it fits decently well. The gloves actually go up to be a bit below the elbow. I actually prefer using these over the gloves I already had
Belt: Its material is separate from every item here. Cloak has 4 hoops you fit the belt though and you then velcro the belt in the back. The belt adds alot to the look and makes for an interesting silhouette. However as it is velcro, it detaches itself very easily, and you can hardly move or bend lest you end up having the put the belt back in place. A minor yet frequent inconvenience. I've not tried this myself, but I believe a real belt may work better, if a small one
Cross: The cross necklace is actually a separate item from the cloak, which is nice as I was originally worried it wouldn't be. Not much to say on this one, it's a cross necklace with a nice long string. Not sure how it fits with the cloak as I actually didn't bother trying it on with the cloak, so you're on your own with that one
Hood: An essential for every plague doctor costume, it hides the back of your head. You must put it on before the cloak to make things easier. Same material as gloves and hat. If you're not a fan a good alternative is a plain black ski mask. I have quite long hair and noticed it poking out in a few pictures, so some type of hair covering or cap is an optional but perhaps useful purchase
Mask: Fits rather well over my glasses. Much easier to breathe in than some other masks I've worn. Eyes were very hard to fog in some heavy breathing tests I did. Though the mesh inside darkens and limits my vision. Like most plague doctor masks I'd recommend stuffing the beak with newspaper or something to keep it from looking flat. Breathing hole is a white mesh square under the beak, below the eyes. Looks quite cheap imo and came with lots of extra strings sticking out so be prepared to give em a snip! I like using my other mask over this one, but others may feel differently
Cloak: My chest was the exact same size as the extra small, so I chose to get the small just in case. I measured myself and checked the size chart so itd say it fits very well! It is quite long for me, though I am rather short, and already expected that based off the size chart. Despite what I had assumed by the picture, this cloak is NOT put on like a dress, instead one side of the buttons are functional and it is meant to be put on like a jacket or button up shirt. I personally find this a bit tedious and instead just undo the top button, put on the cloak on like a dress, and redo the top button. Taking the cloak off with this method will be a bit harder but definitely feasible. Speaking of how this cloak is put on, due to being buttoned up, it looks like it has a slit at the leg like those "sexy" dresses you always see, while it's quite fun to stick your leg out an do a fun pose, this is certainly something one may not want with their costume. I reccomended either sewing the slit (will effect how you put on the cloak), wearing shorts, or wearing black tights/pants. I personally wear shorts, though matching tights will make your leg less visible. Cloak is a nice material though is predictably wrinkled upon arrival
A quick side note, I'd love if this costume had an option to be bought as just the cloak and belt! My wallet certainly would have appreciated it. Though if you have any kids or younger siblings, they may enjoy having the extra accessories you're not usingBottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Great I loved it.By Jay | July 29, 2021Height 6ft | Weight 250 | Size X-LargeI love the outfit its gonna be great for my concerts. I do wish the belt was bigger but itll fit better when I lose more weight. It does feel very flimsy tho and the buttons feel like they'll pop off at any moment (not from my stomach but because of how they are sown in) other than that I have no complaints. O also the mask is terrible but luckily I have one of my own.Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Current Customer | October 20, 2020Was this review helpful to you?
- Five StarsBy Anonymous | September 4, 2020Was this review helpful to you?