If the Mos Eisley Spaceport is a “wretched hive of scum and villainy”, then surely Chalmun’s Cantina is the center of that hive. Popularly known as the “Mos Eisley Cantina”, Chalmun’s is the dim bar where Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first meet Han Solo and Chewbacca in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. But in addition to freighter pilots and smugglers like Han Solo, the cantina is home to bounty hunters and imperial spies and men with “the death sentence on twelve systems”. No droids, though, because the bartender Wuher likes to keep out the riff-raff.
This is a visual guide to the many colorful characters in Chalmun’s Cantina on that single day in year 0 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin). Of course, in the real world, these characters were filmed over the course of several weeks in 1976: exterior shots in Ajim, Djerba, Tunisia on April 2-3 and interior shots on Stage 6 at Elstree Studios in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England on April 13-21. (A final set of close-ups was also filmed at Hollywood Center Studios in Hollywood, California in early 1977.) Our guide is based primarily on in-universe Star Wars canon sources and behind-the-scenes details. Any no-longer-canon “Legends” (formerly the “Expanded Universe”) sources are noted accordingly.
Click on the Image for Larger View
Embed This Image On Your Site:
No Droids Served Here
Scum and Villainy of the Mos Eisley Cantina Transcript
Gotal 2 ·
Trinto Duaba ··
Species: Stennes Shifter
Mom Nadon ···
- He was named "Hammerhead" on the Kenner action figure, but renamed "Momaw Nadon" in the Legends source Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope in 1989.
Het Nkik & Jawa 2 ·· ··
Takeel ··· ··
Debnoli ··· ···
- Smuggler and co-pilot of the Millennium Falcon
Kitik Keed'Kak ··
Obi-Wan Kenobi ···
- Exiled Jedi Master
Boshek ·· ··
- BoShek introduces Obi-Wan Kenobi to Chewbacca. He was played by Basil Tomlin who was inexplicably unidentified until 2016.
Luke Skywalker ··· ··
- Moisture farmer, aspiring pilot
Ponda Baba ··· ···
- Smuggler whose arm was famously severed by Obi-Wan Kenobi
Dr. Cornelius Evazan ···· ···
- Former surgeon who became a smuggler. His fate is unclear. The Star Wars Databank says that he was killed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, but the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded stated in 2016 that he was merely wounded.
Elis Helrot ···
Feltipern Trevagg ·· ··
M'Iiyoom Onith ··· ··
Arleil Schous ·
- Arleil was replaced by Melas in the Special Edition of A New Hope
Pons Limbic ··
Braconnor Bakiska ···
Bom Vimdin ·· ··
Hem Dazon ··· ··
Lirin Car'n ··
- While a member of The Modal Nodes, Lirin was at a table and not the bandstand with the rest of the band. He was played by Doug Beswick, a costume designer and make-up artist.
Djas Puhr ···
Myo ·· ··
Mosep Binneed ·
Hrchek Kal Fas ··
- Hrchek was played by Laurie Goode. Goode also appeared as a Stormtrooper and an X-Wing pilot.
Nabrun Leids ···
Sai'Torr Kal Fas ·· ··
Kabe ··· ··
- Kabe was played by Rusty Goffe. Goffe also appeared as a Jawa and a GNK (Gonk) power droid.
Dannik Jerriko ··· ···
Rycar Ryjerd ···· ···
Leesub Sirln ···· ····
Dice Ibegon ·
- Dice is the girlfriend of Lak Sivrak.
- Kardue'sai'Malloc was known as "The Devil" and "Louie" on set. In the Legends, he was finally named "Labria" in Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope in 1989, which turned out to be an alias for "Kardue'sai'Malloc" in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina in 1995.
Lak Sivrak ···
- Lak is the boyfriend of Dice Ibegon. He was replaced by Ketwol in the Special Edition.
Ketwol ·· ··
- Ketwol replaced Lak Sivrak in the Special Edition.
Atheloe ··· ··
Nalan Cheel ·
- Plays the Bandfill in the Modal Nodes.
Tedn Dahai ··
- Plays the Fanfar in the Modal Nodes.
Figrin D'an ···
- Band leader who plays the Kloo Horn in the Modal Nodes.
Doikk Na'ts ·· ··
- Plays the Fizzz in the Modal Nodes.
Tech Mo'r ··· ··
- Plays the Ommni Box in the Modal Nodes.
- Melas replaced Arleil in the Special Edition
Ohwun De Maal ··
- Ohwun is the husband of Chachi De Maal. In the Legends stories they both owned Docking Bay 94 where the Millennium Falcon was docked.
Chachi De Maal ···
- Chachi is the wife of Ohwun De Maal.
Reegesk ·· ··
- Reegesk was played by stuntwoman Sadie Eddon. Eddon also played Garindan, the long snouted informant outside the Cantina.
- Cut from the final film, Jenny was Han Solo's girlfriend.
- Zutton is the brother of Takeel.
Wuher ·· ··
- Bartender at the cantina, Wuher was originally named "Cedo Party" in the Mos Eisley Adventure Set, but was later changed to "Wuher" in the canon Ultimate Star Wars reference.
Karoly D'ulin ··· ··
Shada D'ukal ··· ···
- A bounty hunter, Greedo moves several times during the scene, perhaps maneuvering to confront Han Solo. Paul Blake played Greedo in wider shots, while Maria De Aragon wore a mask and gloves with better articulation for close-ups.
Han Solo ··
- Smuggler and pilot of the Millennium Falcon.
Tawss Khaa ···
Credits: StarWars.com Databank, Wookieepedia, The Bothan Spy Forums
What did you think? Who is your favorite character from Chalmun’s Cantina? In fact, let’s open up the comments to Star Wars in general. Where were you when you first saw A New Hope? How many times have you seen The Last Jedi teaser? We’d like to thank the StarWars.com Databank, Wookieepedia, and AmShak at The Bothan Spy Forums for some facts used in this guide, and we can’t forget the (often uncredited) actors and artists and designers who brought these characters to life. If all this talk has got you in the Star Wars mood, remember that we carry all kinds of Star Wars costumes for adults and kids!
Design Credit: Jacob Kuddes