Pumpkin Carving Patterns and Stencils
By: FUN Monster
Jack-o'-lanterns have been a Halloween mainstay for centuries, even longer than the holiday has been in existence. In fact, these carved pumpkins originated from an Irish myth called "Stingy Jack," in which a man, Stingy Jack, invited the devil to have a drink with him but didn't want to pay for their drinks. Instead, he convinced the devil to turn himself a coin that Jack could use to pay for the drinks. But then, Jack put the coin in his pocket instead, and he put it next to a silver cross so the devil couldn't change back. Jack eventually freed him under the condition that the devil not bother him for a year and not claim his soul once he died. Over the years, Jack continually tricked the devil in new and unique ways. When Jack actually died, the devil kept his word to not take his soul, but God didn't want an unsavory figure in heaven, either. Instead, Jack was left alone in the darkness, with only a burning coal to light his path. He put the coal in a carved-out turnip to make a lantern, and he has roamed Earth ever since. The Irish called him "Jack of the Lantern" or "Jack O'Lantern," and over the years in Ireland, England, and Scotland, people began to carve scary faces into turnips or potatoes, making lanterns like Jack's, to put in windows and frighten away evil spirits. When immigrants came to the United States, they brought the tradition with them but found that pumpkins fit their tradition even better. At first, these jack-o'-lanterns were a symbol of the harvest season in general, but over time, the carved pumpkins became a symbol of Halloween.
- Kid-Friendly Pumpkin Carving Tips, Tools, and Advice: Nothing brings the family together like carving pumpkins together! This list of tips, tools, and general advice can help make it a safe and fun experience for everybody.
- Pumpkin Carving Game: If you aren't able to carve a pumpkin in real life, you can carve one virtually with this game.
- Browse Traditional Pumpkin Carving Patterns: You don't have to carve faces into your pumpkin. Browse these patterns and pick one that you think could be a cool addition to your pumpkin.
- How to Carve Pumpkins: It wouldn't be Halloween without jack-o'-lanterns, and you can make your own with ease by following these tips and tricks.
- Halloween Patterns: Create more elaborate pumpkin designs by collecting the right materials and following these instructions.
- Halloween Ideas: Pumpkin Carving Tips: Follow these 12 tips from the pros to create toothy-grinned Halloween decorations the whole family can enjoy.
- Things to Do: Pumpkin Carving: Pumpkin carving doesn't have to be messy; it can be easy to clean up with the right tips and tricks!
- Classic Pumpkin Carving Patterns: Prepare to embrace Halloween tradition with these unique takes on classic Halloween fiends and themes.
- World Wildlife Fund Pumpkin Stencils: Whether you're new to carving pumpkins or it's old hat to you, the World Wildlife Fund has fun patterns of animals for every skill level.
- How to Carve a Pumpkin: From how to pick a pumpkin to the tools you'll need to the act of carving up your pumpkin, this article about how to carve your jack-o'-lantern has everything covered.
- Pumpkin Stencils: If you've got your pumpkin picked out and you know you don't want to give it a face, try out one of these cool stencils for beginners. With so many to choose from, you're sure to find one you'll want to try this Halloween.
- Halloween Tips: How to Carve a Pumpkin: Follow this step-by-step guide to carve any gourd into a masterpiece.
- How to Carve Any Photograph Into a Pumpkin: Have you ever seen photographs replicated on pumpkins? You can try making them for yourself to display on your front porch with this guide.
- Five Pumpkin Stencils for a Revolutionary Halloween: The Museum of the American Revolution has created several stencils related to the American Revolution that history buffs will love to carve into their pumpkins.
- Create a Halloween Pumpkin Like a NASA Engineer: Make an out-of-this-world jack-o'-lantern by taking a cue from the engineers at NASA.
- Pumpkin Carving Stencils: Chose from a huge range of pumpkin faces and other spooky and fun Halloween favorites to print out so you can carve them into your pumpkins.
- Pumpkin Carving Ideas for Kids: Make a statement with these cool and stylish pumpkin patterns that you may not have considered before.
- CAT Pumpkin Templates: Love trucks and construction equipment? Show the world how much you love them with these printable stencils for your jack-o'-lantern.
- Carve a Pumpkin: Bring the zoo to your home this Halloween with these animal pumpkin carving templates for various skill levels.
- Pumpkin Carving Tips and Tools: Browse these tips for creating a Halloween pumpkin that will light up your porch with a design you love.
- Pokemon Halloween Stencils: If you love Pokemon, you can use any of these stencils to carve your favorite Pokemon into a pumpkin to show off to the whole neighborhood.
- Pumpkin Carving: Feel confident wielding a carving knife for Halloween thanks to these pumpkin carving tips.
- National Park Pumpkin Carvings: Print out these templates from the National Park Service to carve a great pumpkin this fall.
- Pumpkin Carving Safety: Pumpkin carving uses sharp knives to cut through the gourd, so you must always exercise safety while creating your design. You can follow these steps to prevent hand injuries while carving pumpkins.