Womens Traditional Maid Costume
- 100% polyester
- Dress has attached white peter pan collar and a zipper in the back
- Dress has long sleeves with a buttoned cuff and white trim
- Dress has long skirt with built-in petticoat
- Apron has lace and ruffles on the smock and eyelet trim
- Bonnet is an oval headpiece that you could attach with bobby pins or a headband to hold it in place
- Bonnet has elastic loops on each end
- Bonnet is trimmed with more eyelet lace
Do you ever see one of those huge mansions and shudder? No, not because it's probably haunted. You should shudder because of how much hard work all those floors, annexes, and terraces represent. When you wonder how people would have ever caught up with the housework you have to keep in mind that most families with houses that are this large had a staff of twenty people working about 70 hours a week to keep that not so humble abode spic and span.
So, when we're daydreaming about those days Jane Austin and Jane Eyre, really any of the Janes, there is a community of people living their lives in the backdrops of all of those stories. Next to the women whose only worry was to find a husband under fifty years old who netted a gross income of 10,000 pounds a year the life of a maid was pretty darned busy! They'd typically wake up before the sun rose to prepare the fires to make sure the high-class residents woke up warm and cozy. After that, they'd be running around until past dinner time: cleaning the house, helping their mistress's into their ridiculous gowns, and helping in the kitchens. It might sound like a hard career but when compared to the alternative Victorian jobs for poor women which include washerwoman and brick maker, it wasn't half bad.
Whether you're looking for an ensemble for a play, a murder mystery dinner, or a costume party in this costume you'd fit right in at the poshest of manors. The full-length skirt is modest enough for Victorian standards while the bright white apron would make any Mistress proud. Just remember to dust behind that vase on the mantelpiece, trust us, those high-class ladies will check!
We believe that costumes have the power to create some of life's best moments. That's why we started Made by Us. This diverse selection of costumes and accessories are all artfully designed and expertly crafted by our talented team of artists, designers, and developers.
Each project begins with a passion for true quality–embroidered patches, faux fur cut with care, and hand-selected fabrics that are as durable as they are comfortable. Those are just a few examples of how much craft and creativity we put into each and every product. Just for you.
No matter how much time it takes, our goal has always remained the same–to create products that inspire your life's best moments–the big, the small, the funny, the spooky, and the sweet. The moments we all cherish. That's Made by Us.
Show us how you're creating unforgettable Halloween memories with #funcostumes.
Be the first to be featured! Follow @@funcostumes and tag us with #funcostumes.
- Looks greatBy Anonymous | December 9, 2017I agree with the previous reviewer about the fit. I was hesitant about it being too boxy and hard to get into because it has a zipper closure but it fit very well. I am 125 lbs, 4 foot 10 inches. Understandably things are naturally too long for me but with the help of the built in petticoat, I was able to puff out the skirt and wear 1 and 1/4 boots to keep it off the ground. The sleeves were a little long for me too. The apron was lovely and really rounds out the look of a traditional maid without being to overly frilly. The black dress is of a light but sturdy cotton, simple and fairly well made, with enough room to layer underneath for a cold night. I would also venture to say you can get away with wearing just the black dress for a tastefully understated feminine look because it accentuates a small waist. Overall this would be a graceful, worry-free costume choice.Was this review helpful to you?
- Excellent Quality and fit great!By Anonymous | October 23, 2017The quality of this costume was above and beyond any other store-bought costume I've ever had. The fabric feels nice, the construction of the garment is good, it is a complete outfit, and surprise - there is a wonderful mesh petit-coat, built in. I was very pleased with the quality and the fit was perfect. I ordered a L and I am 5'8", and about 150 lb.'s.Was this review helpful to you?