Men's Vintage Sailor Costume
- Vintage Sailor Men's Costume
- 100% polyester fabrics
- Knit pullover shirt has white yoke, striped sleeves & body
- Pants have side zipper
- Decorative buttons on pants front give the look of a button fly
- Tie triangular bandana as desired
- White sailor cap has blue edge binding
There's nothing like watching Navy sailors disembark for their leave on land, at least that's what we've heard from the old-timers that lived during the age of the Navy. Those sailors who had been at sea spotting nary a mermaid or lady of the lake were always ecstatic to be back on land with access to a variety of people, food, and activities other than swapping the deck. So you can't blame them for their excitement when they got to the city, an excitement that would spread to the civilians, making everyone pumped for Fleet Week when sailors in uniform would swarm the city to see all the popular sights.
It must have been pretty awesome to work as a sailor in the 1930's when the tradition of Fleet Week began. A Nebraska farm boy who's never been out of the county and all of the sudden is sailing on the ocean with men from all over the country, visiting ports that he had only seen in black and white talkies, and eating SPAM... so much SPAM. That iconic uniform was instantly recognizable when they showed up in the big city, causing instant respect and heartthrobs to crop up where ever they tread in the city streets. Now wonder why we're always trying to copy that look!
If you want to have that nostalgic feeling then this costume will bring you back to those days of oceanic voyages. This ensemble has the bright white high-waisted pants, the jaunty cap, and navy blues of the classic uniform with a sense of Hollywood flair. While we might miss the era of Fleet week, there's no reason to leave those dress whites behind so pull in the anchor and fasten your ascot, it's time to see the world!
|Small||Pants Waist||32 1/2"||83cm|
|Small||Pants Outseam||46 1/2"||118cm|
|Medium||Pants Outseam||46 1/2"||118cm|
|Large||Pants Waist||39 1/2"||100cm|
|Large||Pants Outseam||46 1/2"||118cm|
|X-Large||Pants Waist||43 1/4"||110cm|
|X-Large||Pants Outseam||46 1/2"||118cm|
We believe that costumes have the power to create some of life's best moments. That's why we started Made by Us. This diverse selection of costumes and accessories are all artfully designed and expertly crafted by our talented team of artists, designers, and developers.
Each project begins with a passion for true quality–embroidered patches, faux fur cut with care, and hand-selected fabrics that are as durable as they are comfortable. Those are just a few examples of how much craft and creativity we put into each and every product. Just for you.
No matter how much time it takes, our goal has always remained the same–to create products that inspire your life's best moments–the big, the small, the funny, the spooky, and the sweet. The moments we all cherish. That's Made by Us.
- Four StarsBy Anonymous | October 11, 2021Was this review helpful to you?
- The pants ruin the costumeBy Anonymous | October 9, 2021Size MediumThe shirt (medium) is almost perfect. A tad long on the arms but I recognize that sizing will vary by person. Overall it looks really good and fits nicely. The accessories are good too. What ruins it are the pants.
First, the pants are paper thin. You can virtually see through them. The photo isn't accurate at all. You can see all the details of the stripes in the shirt when it's tucked into your waist, and what color underwear you're wearing too. Fleshtone underwear will resolve part of the problem, but I don't know how to hide the stripes of the shirt unless I can figure out a way to line the inside of the pants with additional white fabric.
And then there's the sizing. The pants fit well around the waist, but the length proportions are massive. 46.5" length, which is accurate in the listing, but way too long. Keep in mind that the average man probably wears pants with a length of 30, 32, 34, or 36. So you're looking at 10+ inches of fabric dragging on the ground.
The pants are meant to be high-waisted, which makes up for some of the extra length. But you can only pull them so high before you get to the groin area, then the legs split. So it's impossible to balance out the extra fabric, leaving you with laughably long pants dragging on the floor. They're too embarrassing to wear without alteration, and I don't see how any man under 6'+ could wear these.
This was a disappointing purchase.Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend.Was this review helpful to you?
- The pants are too bigBy Anonymous | December 8, 2017When I saw this costume, I really liked how it looked on the model. I’m 5’7, in shape with slim build. The shirt fits perfectly, but it doesn’t really stretch and of course you can see every details on your body, so you must be in shape for a costume like this. But the pants are horrible, way too big and long. And slightly big on the waste. You need to be taller than 5’7 and slim to fit into this costume. The costume details are nice, but wish the pants weren’t too big.Was this review helpful to you?