So, you’re going as a cartoon character for Halloween. How do you complete your look and wow all your friends this year? Why, with makeup, of course! Huge eyes are a staple in anime and video games, and if you achieve that effect, you’ll be sure to impress everyone. The look is versatile and works for different characters, ages, and events, like Halloween parties or anime conventions. Our HalloweenCostumes.com makeup expert put together this awesome step-by-step tutorial to help you transform into a cartoon.
What you need: eyeliner pencils in black, teal, and white, hot pink lipstick, pink lip liner, lip gloss, and cotton swabs.
To get this look, the main objective is drawing the eyes over your lids. So, when you close your eyes, the effect will be revealed. You will use your eyebrow as a guide to create the top line of the cartoon eye. It really helps to take a peek at the finished look before you start applying makeup.
STEP ONE: EYE OUTLINE AND PUPIL
- Take your black eye pencil and draw a line from the top corner of your nose, over your eyebrow and extending towards your temple. This is the top of your cartoon eye. Fill in your eyebrow with the black pencil.
- Next, draw two parallel black lines from the inside corner of your eye up to your eyebrow line you just drew. Do the same on the outside corner of your eye. This creates the large pupil and a frame around it.
- Color in between the two inside lines completely with black, but leave two small circles up by your eyebrow empty.
STEP TWO: IRIS AND REFLECTIONS
- Use a teal eye pencil to color in the space between the pupil and the outside black lines. This is your iris.
- Fill in the circles you left blank with your white eye pencil. This will replicate the look of light reflecting on your eye. Also, shade with white on either side of the black lining of the iris.
STEP THREE: FINISHING THE EYE AND EYEBROW
- To create the bottom of your cartoon eye, draw a straight, black line directly out of the corners of your eye. Connect these with a straight line up to the top and your eye is complete. If your edges don’t match up how you would like, use a cotton swab to remove any excess black marks.
- Use the black eye pencil to create eyebrows on your forehead. Follow the natural shape of your own brow as a guide. Make them thicker than you would think; you have to make them match the huge eyeballs you just created.
STEP FOUR: LIPS
- Color in your lips with hot pink lipstick. Create extra high arches on your top lip and use pink liner to define the points even more. Apply pink gloss over the lipstick.
STEP FIVE: COMPLETE THE LOOK